Welcome to the official website of Praktijk Karimi
On this page, you will find information about my professional background as a consultant psychiatrist, different therapy methods, and other information relevant to referring patients to my practice.
I am a psychiatrist, psychotherapist, and family and relations therapist. I specialize in the treatment of personality disorders and complex trauma.
I strive to establish a good work alliance, which for me is central to setting treatment goals. I am straightforward in my communication. You will find me empathetic or confronting depending on the situation. Good diagnostics and problem definition are the basis of good treatment. I work in accordance with the guidelines of my professional association and scientific protocols, and I tailor this knowledge to the patient’s needs. The treatment not only focuses on the referral complaint but more importantly on the person as a whole. In addition to symptom relief, I try to help the patient gain insight, autonomy, and self-sufficiency.
One of my other specializations is transcultural psychiatry. Mental health complaints might present themselves differently depending on cultural background. Alternatively, they might require a different approach.
- January 2011- now: Consultant Psychiatrist in Praktijk Karimi
- April 2014- 2022: Psychiatrist at Idiomes, the Department of Transcultural Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, GGzE
- 2010-2014: Psychiatrist at the Department of Geriatric Psychiatry, GGZ Oost-Brabant
- 2018-2020: Transference Focused Therapy
- 2019: Emotion-Focused Therapy
- 2011-2015: Family and Couples Therapy, (NVRG)
- 2010: Psychiatrist, Reinier van Arkel Den Bosch, the Netherlands
- 2004: Medical Doctor, the University of Amsterdam (UvA)
Quality registrations and membership in professional associations
- BIG registration as a psychiatrist
- Chair of the Department of Transcultural Psychiatry of the Dutch Psychiatric Association (NVvP)
- Membership in the following professional associations:
- Federation of Medical Specialists (The Netherlands)
- NVvP (Dutch Associaton for Psychiatry)
- NVP (Dutch Association for Psychotherapy)
- TFP Nederland (Transference Focused Therapy)
- NVRG (Dutch Association for Family and Relation Therapy)
- ISTFP (International Society of Transference Focused Therapy)
- Register-member of NVPP (Dutch Association of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy)
- Approved GGZ Quality Statute
I offer therapy in Dutch, English, and Farsi / Dari.
In my practice, I offer treatment for patients aged 18 and over.
The applied therapy methods are medication treatment, supportive and structuring therapy, and psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapy methods:
- TFP (Transference Focused Psychotherapy) is an evidence-based psychodynamic psychotherapy designed for patients with (severe) personality disorders with underlying borderline personality organization. TFP is an intensive (twice per week), individual, and long-term form of therapy. For more information about TFP click here.
- EFT (Emotion Focused Therapy). This therapy method conceptualizes emotions as centrally important to human functioning and therapeutic change. The patient gains an understanding of his/her emotions as well as becomes capable of expressing and regulating them.
- Elements from cognitive behavioral therapy, focussing on managing thoughts and behavior
- NET (narrative exposure therapy) for PTSD
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and reprocessing)
- Family and relationship therapy
- EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) relation therapy
- BEPP (Brief Eclectic Psychotherapy for PTSD)
- Training therapy for resident psychiatrists
- Consultation and advice
- Workshops and training
Exclusion criteria for treatment in my practice
The practice is not for patients:
- who are crisis-sensitive, e.g. requiring aid in out-of-office hours;
- who are diagnosed with schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders and are actively psychotic/ are not in a stable phase;
- with severe bipolar disorder;
- with addiction problems;
- with primarily severe aggressive behavior
My working procedure
You need a referral from your general practitioner or another doctor / medical specialist to apply for treatment. The referral must be for specialized psychiatric care (SGGZ). A psychiatric problem should constitute the reason for referral.
Registration can be done by sending an email or filling out the contact form on this website. Please note: never send private information or your referral by e-mail. Instead, you can send an email with a contact request.
When your application is accepted, we will schedule an intake interview, in which we explore the problems and discuss your expectations, and expectations for help. After the intake, treatment can start, depending on the outcome of the diagnostics. Clear agreements are made about the treatment and a treatment agreement is concluded. The length of the treatment depends, among other things, on the problem and the request for help.
After the start of the treatment, in accordance with you, a short report will be sent to the referrer. Notification to the general practitioner/referrer takes place exclusively via a secure connection, that meets the requirements of privacy regulations.
All reports are stored in a secure digital file (EPD) that complies with the regulations of the 'AVG'.
After completion of the treatment, in accordance with you, a report will be sent to the referrer.
The treatment of psychiatric disorders is included in the basic package of the Health Insurance Act. The regulation of the compulsory deductible (verplichte eigen risico) applies here. Since January 2014, a distinction has been made between primary mental health care and specialized mental health care. I only treat patients who are referred for specialized treatment (SGGZ).
In addition to individual treatments, I offer family and couples therapy. However, there is limited possibility for this. The therapy is not reimbursed by health insurance.
Each one-hour session costs € 130 (no VAT obligation), for which you receive an invoice after each session. No official referral is required for registration. For information about registration and waiting time, you can contact me by mail. Please do not send private information by mail.
I advise you to read my privacy statement and general terms and conditions, and if you have any questions about those policies you can contact me by mail.
There is no room for new registrations. (update: 31 July 2023)